Homemade Shrewsbury Cookies

If you've been here a while, you know I love baking. And what better thing to bake on a winters day than one of my favourite childhood b...

If you've been here a while, you know I love baking. And what better thing to bake on a winters day than one of my favourite childhood bikkies, a Shrewsbury!


These jam filled bundles of deliciousness are even better when they're homemade, and so simple to make it has me wondering why I haven't done this sooner. I appreciate anything that has jam in it, and it's one of my favourite spreads. Being able to incorporate it into baking just makes me like it even more.

Even if these particular cookies aren't your cup of tea (though they do go well with cups of tea), the sugar cookie recipe is a very versatile one, and can be used as a base for many wonderful different cookies. I think lemon curd would go well with the sugar cookie base as well.

{I love these measuring spoons so much}
So, let's get straight into the recipe, because I know you will all be dying to make them for yourself!

Shrewsbury Biscuits

  • 170g butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Jam of your choosing

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy then add the egg and mix until combined.

Once combined, sift in the flour and the baking powder then mix on low speed until the dough comes together in a ball.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out the cookies, making sure to cut centres out of half of the shapes for the jam to show through.



Transfer to a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.

Once chilled, bake at 180°C for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden in colour. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool down.

Once cool, dust the cut out cookies with icing sugar.



Then spread 1/2 teaspoon of jam onto each of the cookies that don't have the centre removed, and sandwich the two pieces together.






Now they're ready for you to enjoy, and smile at the memories of eating these as a child, but this time they're better because you made them yourself.

If you try out this recipe, let me know how it goes!



post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments