Dairy Free Chocolate Cake

Has anyone noticed the price of butter lately? If you haven't have you been living under a rock? I love cake. A lot. But the price of...


Has anyone noticed the price of butter lately? If you haven't have you been living under a rock?

I love cake. A lot. But the price of butter is really putting a dampener on making it. It's not that I wouldn't pay the price, but sometimes I just can't justify the price.

Well, how would you feel if I told you that you can still have chocolate cake without using butter! That's right, this chocolate cake is made with OIL instead of butter, which makes it a great alternative for all our non-dairy friends out there!

I was skeptical at first, the only cakes I'd ever used oil in were carrot cakes, but this one surprised me, and I have to say, I think it's my new favourite.


The oil in this recipe produces a cake that is deliciously rich, and so moist that it just melts in the mouth. The addition of coffee brings out the chocolate flavour, making it just that much more tasty. Served with ice cream or just a bit of whipped cream on the side, it doesn't need much at all to compliment it, it really does shine on its own.


Ingredients
2/3 cup oil (I used canola)
50g cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp instant coffee
125g flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
3 Eggs

Mix together the cocoa, water, and coffee and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs until light and fluffy. Add in the cocoa mixture and beat until combined.

Add in the sifted flour and baking soda slowly, mixing until just incorporated.

Scrape down the bowl to make sure everything is mixed in before transferring to a lined cake pan.

Bake at 170°C for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Let cool and then dust with icing sugar. Serve on its own or with cream, ice cream, or plain yoghurt.



post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments